Robotic prostatectomy or robotic-assisted laparoscopic prostatectomy is the complete surgical removal of the prostate gland and seminal vesicles. The procedure is performed laparoscopically using the da Vinci Surgical System. The da Vinci Surgical System provides the surgeon with better vision and better 'hands' through the use of advanced optics and computer and robotic technology.
How is Robotic Prostatectomy Performed?
A robotic-assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy is a minimally invasive surgery that allows you to recover quicker, often with less pain and fewer complications compared to more traditional open surgery.
- While under general anesthesia, your surgeon makes six small incisions, each less than an inch wide, in your abdomen.
- To remove the prostate, and sometimes surrounding lymph nodes, your surgeon moves two of the robotic arms while a third "arm" keeps other structures out of the way.
- Very small movements of the surgeon's fingers control tiny instruments for precise movements. The robot's camera, which provides 12X magnification, 3-D vision, allows your surgeon to better identify tissues around the prostate. This aids in the preservation of the nerves controlling erections and the sphincter muscles that help maintain urinary control.
- The prostate is then removed through an incision near your belly button.
What Advantages Does Robotic Prostatectomy Provide?
Robotic prostatectomy, which has been shown to be as effective as conventional procedures in treating localized prostate cancer, offers these advantages:
For qualified candidates, the robotic prostatectomy offers numerous potential benefits over the traditional open prostatectomy, including:
- Shorter hospital stay
- Less post-operative pain and pain medication
- Less anesthesia
- Less blood loss and transfusions
- No blood donation necessary from patient
- Less scarring
- Fewer postoperative complications than open surgery including fewer post-operative infections
- Faster and more complete recovery and quicker return to normal daily activities
- Covered by almost all insurance
The da Vinci Surgical System for robotic prostatectomy extends the surgeon's capabilities to provide these significant benefits:
- 3-D Visualization: Provides the surgeon with a true 3-dimensional view of the operating field. This direct and natural hand-eye instrument alignment is similar to open surgery with "all-around" vision and the ability to zoom-in and zoom-out.
- Dexterity: Provides the surgeon with instinctive operative controls that make complex minimally invasive surgery procedures feel more like open surgery than laparoscopic surgery.
- Surgical Precision: Permits the surgeon to move instruments with such accuracy that the current definition of surgical precision is exceeded.
- Access: Surgeon performs complex surgical maneuvers through 9-mm ports, eliminating the need for large traumatic incisions.
- Range of Motion: EndoWrist Instruments restore full range of motion and ability to rotate instruments more than 360 degrees through tiny incisions.
- Reproducibility: Enhances the surgeon's ability to repetitively perform technically precise maneuvers such as endoscopic suturing and dissection.